What Is Personal Information?
Why THINK Collects Personal Information
THINK collects and uses Personal Information for the following purposes: • Provide mortgage products to the Client and offer products and services best suited to their needs, including arranging and/or renewing loan(s)/mortgage(s), informing the client of group creditor insurance and other products offered or approved by THINK or its affiliates that may be of interest to the Client;
• Checking Client credit worthiness through credit bureau inquiry and personal information employees who have information on a Client’s financial position.
• Advising Clients of the financial options, as well as, ongoing developments of the mortgage market and industry;
• Auditing the services provided to our Clients;
• Compliance with all municipal, provincial, federal and other applicable laws; and
• Such other specific purposes which are communicated to the Client by a member of THINK before collection of such Personal Information.
Except when otherwise permitted by law, we will only use a Client’s Personal Information for the purposes identified to the Client. When Personal Information is to be used for a purpose not identified, we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that new purpose is identified prior to use.
How Do We Collect Personal Information?
The Client is our main source of information. With the Client’s consent, we may also obtain information directly from a third party to help us determine eligibility for various financial products and services. For credit matters, for example, it is essential that we know the clients’ financial worth as well as the clients’ credit record. We will also contact other lenders, financial institutions, credit bureaus and employers. Consent is therefore important because without it, we will not be able to carry out the appropriate inquiries and it might be difficult for us to offer the credit product requested. In most cases, consent is given on the forms used for specific products or, from time to time, on a separate form. The declaration of consent is clear and unambiguous.
The most common method we use to obtain a Client’s consent is by way of the Client’s consent as confirmed by the application. Where practicable, we may also obtain a Client’s consent through oral communications or other written documentation.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
We will use a Client’s Personal Information to provide financial advice and services to the Client, to administer a mortgage and databases, to include Clients in direct marketing Activities and for the other uses described above under the heading “Why THINK Collects Personal Information". Under certain circumstances, THINK will disclose a Client’s personal information to third parties. Specifically, Personal Information may be used, shared and disclosed to, from, or with, the members of THINK, witnesses in a litigation proceeding, experts retained on a Client’s behalf, private investigators, employees retained on behalf of a Client, credit reporting agencies, credit bureaus, as well as such other third parties as are necessary to facilitate the matter for which the Client has retained our office and provided its consent.
Under certain circumstances THINK may disclose Personal Information where:
• required or authorized by law to do so, for example if a court issues a subpoena;
• a Client has consented to the disclosure;
• when mortgage services by THINK are provided to a Client requiring us to give Personal
Information about a Client to a third party, the Client’s consent will be implied, unless the Client tells us otherwise;
• where it is necessary to pull a credit bureau for purposes of processing a mortgage transaction;
• protection of THINK's best interests;
• protection of public interests such as the denouncement of criminal Activity such as fraud or money laundering. In all such cases, authorities are contacted and personal information may be disclosed;
• if we retain a law firm(s) to Act on our behalf for any reason; or
• if the information is already publicly known.
Limiting collection and retention of Personal Information
THINK strives to ensure that a Client’s Personal Information is as accurate, complete, and up-to date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is used.
THINK endeavours to maintain adequate safeguards to protect against loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification of Clients’ Personal Information in the care of THINK. THINK uses various methods to safeguard personal information, including physical security, computer and electronic security, destruction of information no longer needed, and contractual protections with third party data processors.
Client lists are never passed on to third parties other than affiliated members of THINK. When they are hired, our employees must undertake to respect the confidential nature of client information. Only employees and associates who need to view the file as part of their work have access to this information.
Accountability, Openness and Client Access
Attn: Chief Privacy Officer
1510 250-6th Ave SW